The fourth annual Record Store Day (recordstoreday.com) takes place on Saturday, April 16, and this year The Record Exchange is turning the celebration of independent record store culture into Record Store Day Weekend. The Record Exchange will be open from 9 a.m to 9 p.m. on Record Store Day.
RECORD EXCHANGE RECORD STORE DAY HIGHLIGHTS:
• Record Store Day will once again feature a slew of exclusive, limited-edition releases on CD and vinyl. More than 200 titles will be available on Saturday, April 16, including releases from Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Gorillaz, Fleet Foxes, The Decemberists and Mumford & Sons. (Full list and detailed descriptions are available at therecordexchange.com/recordstoreday.) The Record Exchange Coffee Shop will open at 8 a.m. on April 16 to allow customers to line up for the exclusives, which will be available at 9 a.m. The first 25 people in line will receive vouchers for a free gift bag with purchase; a $50 gift card will be randomly inserted into one of the 25 bags.
• El Ten Eleven (elteneleven.com) will play a Record Exchange in-store on Saturday, April 16 (TBD) prior to their concert later that night at Neurolux (8 p.m.). The Los Angeles instrumental rock duo, which recently released its fourth album It’s Still Like a Secret, has earned heaps of critical praise over its eight-year career, particularly for its musical acrobatics and high-energy live show. (Sample quote from Filter: “They drive somewhere between a roughed-up version of Sigur Rós and Ratatat you wouldn’t dare bring home to your parents.”)
• Finn Riggins (finnriggins.com) and Hillfolk Noir (petometz.com) will kick off Record Store Day weekend with an in-store and exclusive 7-inch release at 6 p.m., Friday, April 15. In the spirt of Record Store Day, the two Boise bands decided to collaborate on a limited-edition split 7-inch (Tender Loving Empire) that will make its worldwide debut at The Record Exchange that night. Each band will perform a set on the RX stage.
• The Record Exchange is offering 20 percent off all used vinyl, CDs and DVD/Blu-ray April 15-17. This RSD weekend used sale includes collectible items!
• A Record Store Day pre-party will be held at 8 p.m. Friday, April 15, at Neurolux (neurolux.com), 111 N. 11th St. Boise. Hosted by Radio Boise (radioboise.org), Go Listen Boise (golistenboise.org) and The Record Exchange, the evening will include a DJ set by Vinyl Preservation Society of Idaho (vpsidaho.org) DJ Tony B. (funk/soul/hip-hop), live performance by electronic duo Owlright (myspace.com/owlright) and Almost Famous Karaoke (almostfamousdj.com). $5 cover until 11 p.m., $3 cover for Almost Famous Karaoke 11 p.m. to 2 a.m. A portion of proceeds will benefit Radio Boise. This is a non-smoking event.
• Go Listen Boise (golistenboise.org) will hold a bake sale outside the store on Saturday, April 16, while local musicians busk on the RX sidewalk all day long. Proceeds from the bake sale will benefit Go Listen Boise.
• Delicious food from Superb Sushi (superbsushidowntown.com) and Parrilla Grill will be available inside the store on Saturday, April 16. Superb Sushi will donate a portion of proceeds to Go Listen Boise.
• The Record Exchange is holding its second annual Record Store Day Mixtape Contest. Make us a mixtape, and you just might walk away with our grand prize: a $50 RX gift card and assortment of exclusive Record Store Day releases. The winning mix will be played on the store hi-fi during Record Store Day. Full details available at therecordexchange.com/recordstoreday.