Freetown Sound is the third full-length album from Dev Hynes (Blood Orange). Written and produced by Hynes, Freetown Sound is a tour de force, a pastiche of Hynes’ past, present, and future that melds his influences with his own established musical voice. For well over a decade, Dev has proven himself a virtuoso of versatility, experimenting with almost every conceivable musical genre and working with a wide variety of artists as a writer and producer. On his solo work he has created a singular style of urgent, delicate pop music by carefully stitching a sound palette that gently recalls elastic funk, slinky R&B and pure pop. Thematically, the album is profoundly personal and unapologetically political, touching on issues of race, religion, sex and sexism over 17 shimmering songs.
- SHOPPING AT THE RECORD EXCHANGE THIS SPRING (UPDATED 5/17)
- NEW RELEASE FRIDAY: ST. VINCENT, THE BLACK KEYS, PAUL/LINDA MCCARTNEY, ARCADE FIRE, FLEETWOOD MAC, CSNY AND MORE!
- RECORD EXCHANGE TOP 10 (WEEK ENDING 5/13/2021)
- NEW RELEASE FRIDAY: TREVOR POWERS, WEEZER, AMY WINEHOUSE, SQUID, FRANK ZAPPA, FIRST AID KIT AND MORE!
- RECORD EXCHANGE TOP 10 (WEEK ENDING 5/6/2021)