Silversun Pickups frontman Brian Aubert has likened his band’s newest album, Neck Of The Woods, to a horror movie. That description reaches far beyond the record’s evocative title and quietly unsetting cover; while 2006’s Carnavas and 2009’s Swoon found the L.A. group awash in fuzzed-out, wide-eyed guitarscapes heavily indebted to My Bloody Valentine and Smashing Pumpkins, Neck Of The Woods roughs that sound up a bit and comes away with something darker and more brooding. It’s a small but welcome progression for a band that has long worked within a frightfully narrow retro-genre of its own making. — The A.V. Club
- NEW RELEASE FRIDAY: RUN THE JEWELS, JOHN PRINE VINYL REISSUES, ALICIA KEYS, THE DOORS, INTO IT. OVER IT. AND MORE
- RECORD EXCHANGE TOP 10 (WEEK ENDING 9/17/2020)
- NEW RELEASE FRIDAY: MARILYN MANSON, THE FLAMING LIPS, PJ HARVEY VINYL REISSUES, LOGIC, DELTA SPIRIT AND MORE
- RECORD EXCHANGE TOP 10 (WEEK ENDING 9/10/2020)
- NEW RELEASE FRIDAY: ROLLING STONES, ALL THEM WITCHES, DECLAN MCKENNA, ZAKK SABBATH, REX ORANGE COUNTY AND MORE!