Delta Spirit‘s Matt Vasquez was the wild card on last year’s Middle Brother LP, the singer/songwriter project with Dawes traditionalist Taylor Goldsmith and Deer Tick wildman John McCauley. The transitional third record by Vasquez’s main band pushes their roots-minded songs into bed with electronic toys, where they assume nifty positions: the invisible chorus of “California,” the magnified vocal tics on “Tellin’ The Mind,” which connect Little Richard and Rahzel. The synthetic colors can seem superfluous, nodding to an indie-rock era where textural novelty often trumps songcraft. But on a track like “Yamaha,” a falsetto-and-drone-draped confessional to Vasquez’s wife, his band proves it can nail both. — Rolling Stone
- NEW RELEASE FRIDAY: RUN THE JEWELS, JOHN PRINE VINYL REISSUES, ALICIA KEYS, THE DOORS, INTO IT. OVER IT. AND MORE
- RECORD EXCHANGE TOP 10 (WEEK ENDING 9/17/2020)
- NEW RELEASE FRIDAY: MARILYN MANSON, THE FLAMING LIPS, PJ HARVEY VINYL REISSUES, LOGIC, DELTA SPIRIT AND MORE
- RECORD EXCHANGE TOP 10 (WEEK ENDING 9/10/2020)
- NEW RELEASE FRIDAY: ROLLING STONES, ALL THEM WITCHES, DECLAN MCKENNA, ZAKK SABBATH, REX ORANGE COUNTY AND MORE!