Drawing elements from Portishead, Bon Iver, Fleetwood Mac and Eurythmics, Polica is a group featuring chanteuse Channy Leaneagh from Roma di Luna, Ryan Olson of Gayngs, Vampire Hands guitarist Chris Bierden, and drummers (that’s right, there are two) Drew Christopherson from Digitata and Ben Ivascu from STNNNG. “Amongster” opens with buzzing, reverberated guitar leads, over which Caselle’s ghostly, layered vocals hover like a mist. An Auto-Tune modification makes it sound like she’s singing behind a whirring fan in “I See My Mother”— all dub-inspired bass and an electric guitar approximating a synthesizer with help from an electronic bow, it’s here where the finesse of the Polica’s two drummers comes shockingly into the foreground. “Violent Games” plays with more menacing tones. Dark drumming patterns give chase to a driving, distorted bass line, while Caselle croons through a slew of gurgling effects. The standout tune “The Maker” gives Caselle more room to stretch out and exercise her dynamic vocal range, though “Wandering Star” (no, not the Portishead song) is the jam (among many jams) that could make Polica huge. You need this.
- NEW RELEASE FRIDAY: SLEATER-KINNEY, AFI, GARBAGE, DANNY ELFMAN, LUKAS NELSON & PROMISE OF THE REAL AND MORE!
- RECORD EXCHANGE TOP 10 (WEEK ENDING 6/10/2021)
- FULLY VACCINATED? STARTING JUNE 13, YOU NO LONGER HAVE TO WEAR A MASK INSIDE THE RECORD EXCHANGE
- NEW RELEASE FRIDAY: BLOOD LEMON, LIZ PHAIR, JAPANESE BREAKFAST, RED FANG, RISE AGAINST AND MANY MORE!
- RECORD EXCHANGE TOP 10 (WEEK ENDING 6/3/2021)