It’s been nearly three years since Pretty Lights – Denver hip-hop producer and EDM-festival star Derek Vincent Smith – issued a new record, instead concentrating on his ultra-opulent live show. But his newest makes up for lost time: two hours of surprisingly consistent stoner jams with congruent but very different halves. Disc One plays like bubblegum DJ Shadow: penetrating psych funk with the occasional corny touch (Talib Kweli sleepwalks through “Around the Block”). Smith constructed these from vinyl pressings of live-band grooves he’d composed, and Disc Two is the grooves themselves – which have even more weight and resonance when left alone.-Rolling Stone
- ENTER TO WIN TICKETS TO SEE GALACTIC AT THE KNIT JULY 9!
- NEW RELEASE FRIDAY: BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN, MADONNA, BARONESS, BASTILLE, BILL CALLAHAN, KATE TEMPEST AND MORE
- RECORD EXCHANGE TOP 10 (WEEK ENDING 6/13/19)
- ENTER TO WIN A RANDY ROGERS BAND PRIZE PACK INCLUDING VINYL, HAT, LICENSE PLATE, KOOZIE, TUMBLER AND MORE!
- RECORD EXCHANGE 2019 STAFF PICKS (THUS FAR): JOHN PARSELL