It’s no secret that Poliça‘s sound is built from contemporary indie tropes, as the Minneapolis group combined yacht rock tempos, Auto-Tuned vocals and R&B rhythms on last year’s debut, Give You the Ghost. With their follow-up, Shulamith, the quintet find themselves drifting further back into denser territory, using ’90s trip-hop and millennial British chill-out as starting points for their newfound sleek and steely sound. Vocalist Channy Leaneagh (also of Midwestern super-group Gayngs) comes across darker and more adventurous on tracks that range from dynamic (“Vegas”) to moody (“Trippin”) to downright playful (“Matty”), all the while remaining defiantly melodic and blissful. — Exclaim
- ENTER TO WIN TICKETS TO SEE GALACTIC AT THE KNIT JULY 9!
- NEW RELEASE FRIDAY: BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN, MADONNA, BARONESS, BASTILLE, BILL CALLAHAN, KATE TEMPEST AND MORE
- RECORD EXCHANGE TOP 10 (WEEK ENDING 6/13/19)
- ENTER TO WIN A RANDY ROGERS BAND PRIZE PACK INCLUDING VINYL, HAT, LICENSE PLATE, KOOZIE, TUMBLER AND MORE!
- RECORD EXCHANGE 2019 STAFF PICKS (THUS FAR): JOHN PARSELL