It’s no secret that Poliça‘s sound is built from contemporary indie tropes, as the Minneapolis group combined yacht rock tempos, Auto-Tuned vocals and R&B rhythms on last year’s debut, Give You the Ghost. With their follow-up, Shulamith, the quintet find themselves drifting further back into denser territory, using ’90s trip-hop and millennial British chill-out as starting points for their newfound sleek and steely sound. Vocalist Channy Leaneagh (also of Midwestern super-group Gayngs) comes across darker and more adventurous on tracks that range from dynamic (“Vegas”) to moody (“Trippin”) to downright playful (“Matty”), all the while remaining defiantly melodic and blissful. — Exclaim
- ENTER TO WIN A BURN THE PRIEST AUTOGRAPHED LITHOGRAPH!
- NEW RELEASE FRIDAY: DRAKE, DEAFHEAVEN, SLIGHTLY STOOPID, THE JAYHAWKS, PEDRO THE LION, JASON ISBELL, GRATEFUL DEAD AND MORE
- RECORD EXCHANGE TOP SELLERS (WEEK ENDING JULY 12, 2018)
- ENTER TO WIN A FLAMING LIPS BOX SET, CD COMP AND BEANIE!
- NEW RELEASE FRIDAY: THE CARTERS (BEYONCE AND JAY-Z), THE BEATLES, YEARS AND YEARS, DEVILDRIVER AND MORE