As you may (or may not) remember: Some years ago, Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke decided he needed an outlet for all of the glitchy IDM that kept pouring forth from his laptop that wasn’t a Radiohead record. With longtime producer Nigel Godrich in tow, Yorke created The Eraser – a surprisingly (or not) hummable album that was both surprising and familiar in its approach. Regardless, it made room for guitars to reign again for In Rainbows. When it came time to play The Eraser’s songs live, Yorke mostly took to the piano, but eventually he recruited Godrich, Flea, drummer Joey Waronker (Beck, R.E.M.) and multi-instrumentalist Mauro Refosoco to breath new life into his compositions. They had such a good time doing it, that they decided to make a go of it as a proper band with a name: Atoms For Peace. So, at long last, we’re finally treated to Amok, which liberally uses ingredients from The Eraser as well as the more Afropop-leaning elements of Radiohead’s previous long-player, King of Limbs. Though Amok may imply musicians running wild, it’s still a ship largely controlled by Yorke’s beats – but the band is stealthy: And as the album progresses you hear them roam increasingly free. This band is a rare bird – so take your time and enjoy the moment.
- NEW RELEASE FRIDAY: GRIZZLY BEAR, SHELBY LYNNE AND ALLISON MOORER, HAIM VINYL, NECK DEEP, JERRY DOUGLAS AND MORE!
- RECORD EXCHANGE TOP 10 SELLERS (WEEK ENDING 8/17/17)
- 4OTH ANNIVERSARY KICKOFF: JOSH RITTER LIVE AT THE RECORD EXCHANGE SUNDAY, SEPT. 24, PRESENTED BY 94.9FM THE RIVER
- NEW RELEASE FRIDAY: PORTUGAL. THE MAN AND GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 2 VINYL, KE$HA, HINDER, NEEDTOBREATHE AND MANY MORE!
- RECORD EXCHANGE TOP 10 SELLERS (WEEK ENDING 8/10/17)