Of all the Canadian acts that stumbled onto the scene in the early aughts, Metric have been the most consistent in putting out quality material, pushing the boundaries, expanding themselves musically and managing to keep building their fanbase while retaining that ever fickle original audience. Synthetica stays true to form, from opener “Artificial Nocturne,” where singer Emily Haines intones over a single, languid, synthesized accompaniment, “I’m just as fucked up as they say,” before the song shifts into a bouncy beat that owes a debt to Kasabian’s “Reason Is Treason.” That particular sonic change-up is indicative of things to come; throughout the album there’s beguiling pop like “Breathing Under Water,” synth-heavy excursions like “Dreams So Real,” and bouts of indie-quirk catchiness like “Clone” and “Lost Kittens” — the latter making it hard to resist swaying along to all of its glorious and simplistic whimsy. Concurrently, Metric have always had a dark side lurking just beneath the poppy surface. Here it’s evident on the title track, where even an airy acoustic breakdown can’t shake the feeling of discontent. Synthetica brings all the varied influences and styles together in perfect synchronization. — Boston Phoenix
NEW RELEASE OF THE WEEK: METRIC'S 'SYNTHETICA' – INCLUDING A LIMITED EDITION 45 RPM VINYL LP VERSION!
- RECORD EXCHANGE TOP SELLERS (WEEK ENDING MARCH 14, 2019)
- NEW RELEASE FRIDAY: KAREN O & DANGER MOUSE, BOUNCING SOULS, JERRY GARCIA, TODD SNIDER, THE FAINT, DEVO & MORE
- RECORD STORE DAY EXCLUSIVES AND EVENTS APRIL 12-14!
- NEW RELEASE FRIDAY: PATTY GRIFFIN, WEEZER, DIDO, SASAMI, MEAT PUPPETS, AMANDA PALMER, FOALS AND MORE
- RECORD EXCHANGE TOP SELLERS (WEEK ENDING MARCH 7, 2019)