Delta Spirit‘s Matt Vasquez was the wild card on last year’s Middle Brother LP, the singer/songwriter project with Dawes traditionalist Taylor Goldsmith and Deer Tick wildman John McCauley. The transitional third record by Vasquez’s main band pushes their roots-minded songs into bed with electronic toys, where they assume nifty positions: the invisible chorus of “California,” the magnified vocal tics on “Tellin’ The Mind,” which connect Little Richard and Rahzel. The synthetic colors can seem superfluous, nodding to an indie-rock era where textural novelty often trumps songcraft. But on a track like “Yamaha,” a falsetto-and-drone-draped confessional to Vasquez’s wife, his band proves it can nail both. — Rolling Stone
- VINTAGE TURNTABLE SPOTLIGHT: LINEAR-TRACKING SONY PS-LX500
- NEW RELEASE FRIDAY: TORO Y MOI, SHARON VAN ETTEN, DEERHUNTER, JOE JACKSON, GUSTER, MAGGIE ROGERS AND MORE
- RECORD EXCHANGE TOP SELLERS (WEEK ENDING JANUARY 17, 2019)
- ENTER TO WIN A CURSIVE PRIZE PACK INCLUDING CONCERT TIX – CATCH THEM PERFORMING AT THE RECORD EXCHANGE JAN. 22!
- NEW RELEASE FRIDAY: MARSHALL POOLE, THOMAS PAUL, THE DOORS, TAKING BACK SUNDAY, METRO BOOMIN AND MORE